Tuesday 2 June 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: Top Ten Books That Would Make Perfect Films/TV Series

 
Top Ten Tuesday is an original feature/weekly meme created at The Broke and the Bookish.

I've been wanting to take part in a feature for a while, and this seemed the perfect place to start!  
 
So here we go:
 
1. The Noughts and Crosses series by Malorie Blackman-
*I promise I don't just add this book to anything at any opportunity*

Malorie Blackman's epic book series seems to me the perfect candidate for film adaptation. It’s already been adapted by the RSC (surely a good taste sign-off if there ever was one) and I believe its film rights have been bought. With the surge of dystopia, it seems to me AU wouldn’t be too far a jump for film studios. However, I think the big racial inequality issue may indeed be too scary for them. I’ll still live in hope.

2. City of Ashes by Cassandra Clare - I know it's a sore subject, what with the new TV series and all, but why oh why can't The Mortal Instruments movies continue? All they'd need is a better script writer, director, handful of actors and special effects guy... not too much to ask right? So much potential wasted...

3. The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern- Not strictly YA, but this has some great crossover appeal as most of the main characters are kids or young adults. This is the story of two young magicians made to duke it out in a mystical showdown in an incredible travelling circus. One of my favourite books, I’m thrilled that the film is already in development. Summit Entertainment and David Heyman (producers of Harry Potter series) bought the rights in 2011 and Jane Eyre writer Moira Buffini is on board write the script. Just keeping my fingers crossed it does actually happen…  

4. Geek Girl by Holly Smale – I could see this doing really well as a Girls in Love-esque TV series. Perhaps if it were being made a few years ago, you could have had Lily Cole in the leading role…

5. We Were Liars by E.Lockhart – A trippy, independent film adaptation of this would be so cool! I’m thinking Emily Roberts for Cadence and Luke Pasqualino for Gat. According to wewereliarswiki it’s been optioned for a film too!  

6. Trouble by Non Pratt – Gritty, British Juno anyone?

7. A Wells and Wong Mystery Series by Robin Stevens– This would just be too amazing as a kids TV series, no? Think Ghostwriter and Wishbone…

8. Only Ever Yours by Louise O'Neill – The message of this book is a really important one for young girls to hear about, and what better way to do that than through TV? This could make a really great mini-series given the gradual progression and multiple meetings. Would fangirl this so hard if this happened!

9. Salvage by Keren David– I loved this book when I first read it and I’d like to see it made into a movie for the same reason as Only Ever Yours. Lots of issues to look at (fostering, family breakdown, child abuse) and lots of meaty content. Could work lovely as a BBC Murdered By My Boyfriend sort of thing...

10. Dead Romantic by C.J Skuse – a Frankenstein inspired teen love/friendship story. Throw in a little Game of Thrones/Penny Dreadful gore in there and you’ve got a cracking mini-series.
 
So those are my picks. What would yours be?
 
Bookish love,
 
Rachel

3 comments:

  1. The Night Circus should be perfect for a film adaptation, could make an interesting TV series as well. (My TTT)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had Noughts and Crosses on my list this week too! Love that book, and that series!
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2015/06/02/top-ten-tuesday-7/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey guys, you're my first ever commenters on the blog! Thanks! Glad you like the picks, I seriously cannot wait for Night Circus (though am nervous about the casting - Sybil from Downton as Celia and Andrew Garfield as Marco for me). And Noughts and Crosses I would love to happen but I seriously doubt it will - too controversial. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete